StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rob  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 11:48:52 AM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Just more stuff for my own future reference.

Microcontroller code repo:

https://github.com/roblarky/Adafruit-Trackpad-SipPuff

Anyone can now download the code to drive the controller board, trackpad, and pressure sensor. Which really just transmits data over serial, so any program which can read the serial data can do whatever they want.

Not pushing the Windows app yet as it's WAY too crude to be subject to public criticism BigGrin Plus, it's not really complete anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
Kyrinn on 2/19/2020(UTC)
Rob  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 11:50:34 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Also, I did receive the sip & puff sensor, and it works great. I mean, I don't have anything wired up in the app to react to the events yet, but the data is flowing in without issue.

Tomorrow I receive the last of the hardware, then I can assemble the whole thing to get it shipped off.
Kyrinn on 2/19/2020(UTC)
Kyrinn  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 10:36:49 PM(UTC)
Kyrinn

Groups: Approved
United States

Extremely exciting. I know the testing/refining process will take a while, but every time I look over and see that behemoth laptop sitting over there doing nothing, I get mad and giddy at the same time.
Rob  
#44 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:56:32 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Hardware build complete!

Don't worry, that's not the tube I'm shipping, it's a brand new section I've never put my lips on :) However, note that barb on which the hose connects is REALLY strong - very difficult to remove the hose once it's on (but possible).

I taped a laminated piece of paper inside with the components used, just because you never know if someone else needs to service it or something in the future.

I found out this morning on my duplicated hardware setup (not enclosed) that apparently the pressure sensor is sensitive to light, so I put a piece of heat-shrink tubing around the internal tube since the MCU has power and transmit/receive LEDs that flicker inside the box. Probably shouldn't ever be something you'd notice, but if you're getting false sip/puff events, make sure the tube/port isn't being blasted with light.

The Windows app side is fairly ready, though I figured I'd wait until you get the hardware and test the basics before making customizations. Right now it just records the sip/puff events, but doesn't do anything. And the double-tap in the lower right corner just changes the color of the app - just to prove it's doing something. Of course, those updates are simple, I'll just publish an update and you download/install it and the new functionality will be there.

The PS/2 port (where the touchpad plugs in) seems pretty secure, but they're just regular screws into the plastic. I went to Lowes last night, but I couldn't find any machine screws/nuts small enough - so just make sure whoever is plugging in the touchpad doesn't try to jam it too hard. It is a snug connector, so they'll have to put a decent amount of force, but just don't apply any more force than necessary. I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but it's the only weak point so I wanted to mention it. Especially since the MCU is right behind it and busting the port inside the enclosure could hit the board/wiring and cause damage.

The pressure sensor is coated with silicon, so it should handle some moisture, but ideally let's try to make sure saliva/condensation isn't building into droplets and draining inside the unit.

https://www.strokesplus.net/images/touchpad/arduinooverview.jpg

https://www.strokesplus.net/images/touchpad/arduinocloseup.jpg
Kyrinn on 2/20/2020(UTC)
Rob  
#45 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 7:19:44 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Oh, I'm also including some conductive thumb sleeves. The trackpad does not tolerate anything being between your digit and the pad (even a paper towel) - so I ordered the thumb sleeves off Amazon and the pad responded just like if I didn't have them on.

Hopefully they can combat the sweat/etc issues.
Kyrinn on 2/20/2020(UTC)
Kyrinn  
#46 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:05:42 PM(UTC)
Kyrinn

United States

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
Oh, I'm also including some conductive thumb sleeves.

That's a thing? For like... competitive phone gamers? Hastur bless weird-ass nerds.

But... that's really the thing that I appreciate and gives me any hope about any of this(I'm a level 87 Pessimist). I would have probably just have given up right there if it hadn't worked... or, at least I doubt I would have been able to figure it out.

Having ingenuity AND a specific set of skills is something I never expected to find when looking for help. There are a few extremely kind folks who offered to help me through this who fiasco by sending me an item or gadget here or there... and no one has, though I don't doubt that they actually intend to.

My point is that I deeply empathize with those people. I like to help people... but actually getting around to doing it is... y'know... work.

So, again... I'm deeply impressed by the amount of work you've done in the amount of time, and frankly, I think I'M going to be the thing to slow this whole process down.:p
Rob  
#47 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 8:49:49 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

As with everything, there are many small complexities when using this device to control the computer. Specifically around the fact that the program must be running, connected to the box, and having the necessary permissions to interact with Windows.

I've used the same UIAccess flag as S+ uses so it can start with Windows and interact with elevated programs, but there's one spot which you need to change Windows UAC (User Access Control) settings so you can move the mouse, click, etc. when you're being prompted for an elevation; like when you install something and the screen goes dim showing you the "Are you sure you want to run this" message.

You'll need to dial that setting down one notch as shown below, otherwise when the popup occurs, the program cannot control the mouse. This removes the dimmed screen (which shows it in a separate, secure desktop) so it shows in the main desktop instead, where the app can control the mouse.

I also had to make some updates to the installer so it automatically starts the app during setup. Since it closes the app first, it needs to start it again without any required mouse interaction otherwise you'd have to use the regular mouse/touchpad to click the Finish button to start the app. I'm hoping we don't find any other situations, but I think these should cover the bases.

I would definitely recommend that you run through several different scenarios when you first get it up and running, like installing an app and doing something that invokes the UAC prompt, rebooting the computer, etc. It's set to start with Windows, but there could be a delay until the app gets loaded when you reboot. However, I don't know if it will be able to interact on the login screen when you need to type in your PIN/password. We'll just have to see what we can do to work around these issues - I know there are programs like remote control (TeamViewer) which can interact with these screens, though they may run as services with admin privileges, so will see what can be done to ensure you can always use the device.

I've also found some other code examples out there, just will take some time to research, test, etc.

https://www.strokesplus.net/images/touchpad/allthumbs_uac.jpg
Kyrinn  
#48 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 12:40:06 PM(UTC)
Kyrinn

United States

Well, some hopefully good news for you is that while I'm no coder, I have been using computers since DOS was the default, so I have a fairly solid grasp on Windows troubleshooting and tweaks.

Specifically, the two things you mentioned are two of the first things I do with every new computer: disable UAC(don't tell me what to do Microsoft, you're not my dad!) and now with Win 10, I disable the password/PIN. Is it secure? Hell, no. But if I wanted security, I'd run Tails... I want convenience, dammit!:p
Rob  
#49 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 1:32:37 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

That works out well!

I don't generally like to tell people to choose less secure methods unless absolutely necessary; and in this case it may be the first time it kinda is....so I'm glad you're already on board BigGrin
Rob  
#50 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 2:22:45 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

This really is a huge relief, lol.

I'm a bit of a compulsive perfectionist (in terms of doing things "right" - not necessarily true perfectionism), and the thought of trying to build a service or device driver was kind of making me feel a bit overwhelmed.

Making app updates to include new logic, handling sip/puff, etc are no sweat; but after throwing so much time into this effort already, I really was not looking forward to a ground-up redesign especially in areas with which I'm not fluent.
Kyrinn on 2/21/2020(UTC)