StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Swagboy69  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2021 2:47:11 PM(UTC)
Swagboy69

Groups: Approved
United States

Hi Rob, love your software and it's a daily staple for me, thanks so much for you hard work.

I have 2 separate questions:

First:
VK Dropdown

As you can see, the drop down menu where I select/define the Virtual Key is reset to its "empty" position; this appears to happen to ALL of my steps with virtual keys (so, dozens)
whenever Strokesplus options are opened. However, they still seem to be working correctly.

Is this just a UI glitch, or is there a problem with VKs? Should I edit all of my gestures containing VK steps to fire traditional hotkeys where possible? As you know, most keyboards don't have hotkey access to most of these virtual functions (like "BROWSER_BACK" or "MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK), so I'm hoping not.

Second question:

What exactly is the relationship between the "Steps" and "Script" tabs for each gesture? I always assumed that, for example, if I had a step that fired the virtual key "BROWSER_BACK", then I'd need a corresponding "sp.SendVKey(vk.BROWSER_BACK);" in the script tab. After all, that's how your default example is set up.

However, it appears that many of my custom steps that call for hotkeys/virtual keys have empty script areas, yet they still work. Conversely, if I were to add the script but remove the step, it doesn't work. If I were to add the script for a completely different key, only the "steps" defined key will fire.

So, are scripts for hotkeys/virtual keys simply not necessary? Do steps simply take precedence over scripts? I use a global mouse-wheel script that doesn't even have steps! Does that mean steps and scripts are independent of each other entirely? Or is it just that keyboard events and mouse events are separate? You can see my confusion here Laugh

I'm fully aware that these are minor "issues"; I'm just seeking some clarification. I've spent a lot of time creating a ton of gestures so I'm just worried if I'm doing something wrong; plus, some clarity will help me continue learning how to create more interesting actions.

Thanks again for this great software, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Swagboy69  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 3:22:15 AM(UTC)
Swagboy69

United States

So, good news – after a lot of exploring and tinkering, I've realized that the scripts tabs functionality is controlled via the keyboard hooks toggle under options, which of course makes sense. I'm a bit embarrassed to have not figured that out sooner Laugh

My next goal is going to be figuring out a way to get StrokesPlus to mimic "Super Drag" functionality found in browser extensions – for example, dragging highlighted text to initiate a google search, or dragging a hyperlink to open it in a new browser tab. Being able to re-create this would be a huge boon for windows explorer and notepad type desktop apps.

I worry this will be complicated, b/c it seems like the only reason super drag is possible in browsers is because browsers seem to have defined context awareness; as in the mouse cursor understands the difference b/t a text input box (which causes the cursor to change to a caret) vs. a page link which changes cursor to a hand. However, I did see Rob post a snippet that seems to show it's possible to make something aware of input boxes, so that gives me some hope that context awareness could be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Rob  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2021 4:47:15 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Unfortunately, since S+ runs outside of the web browser, it can't really examine anything on a web page. Which is good for security, you wouldn't want any app to be able to look inside another app!

Someday I hope to make a browser extension, but that is not even started at this point.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2021 2:54:36 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Sorry, I was trying to burn through a bunch of forum posts quickly as I've been busy and didn't fully read your entire post.

The empty virtual key thing? I just noticed that too and it's definitely a bug.

Steps or Script - which tab is selected when you save the action is what is used.
Rob  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 2:10:52 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

This should be fixed in 0.5.5.2
Swagboy69  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 11:28:15 AM(UTC)
Swagboy69

United States

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
This should be fixed in 0.5.5.2

Thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, since S+ runs outside of the web browser, it can't really examine anything on a web page.

Understood! However, I'm curious about replicating context aware drag actions outside of the web browser – for example, in windows explorer. Context awareness could be recognizing when a gesture is done with files selected vs. no selection, or differentiating b/t UI elements.

Rob  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 1:48:38 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I gotcha, so files selected in Explorer vs no selections is possible, other apps will depend literally on the app. Some programs use native Windows controls which can be accessed, some don't and may be challenging or impossible.
From the example scripts for getting the selected files in Explorer:
Code:
//Show a message box with the names of the selected files in Explorer:

var files = sp.GetSelectedFilesInExplorer(action.Window.HWnd);
var str = "";
var delim = "";
for(i = 0; i < files.Length; i++)
{
    str = str + delim + files[i];
    delim = "\r\n";
}
if(str.length == 0) str = "(no files selected)";
sp.MessageBox(str, "Selected File(s)");

For the others, I'd need to have some very specific example scenarios to give you some direction.