StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferawyn  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2024 4:28:07 PM(UTC)
Ferawyn

Groups: Approved
Netherlands

Hello,

I've installed StrokesPlus.net on a new computer, with the same configuration as my old computer, and while it mostly works fine I have encountered one strange issue. Once every few gestures the last point of the previous gesture becomes the first point of the new gesture, which obviously messes up the gesture. It's like the last point is stuck in the gesture memory.

I've made a small video to illustrate the issue. Note the vertical line in the last of the gestures:
https://streamable.com/0xrtkb

This sometimes happens several times in a row, sometimes not for ten gestures, but it keeps happening. It doesn't seem related to the application the gesture is for. It happens on Firefox, Brave browser, and Sublime Text. I've gone through the settings and toggled some settings on and off without any change. I don't think I have any particularly strange settings, no plugins, macros, exclusion zones... Just four applications with half a dozen gestures each.

I use the same version on both computers, 0.5.7.8, with the same configuration, and my old computer does not have this issue.

Does this issue look familiar to anyone?

Cheers,

Ferawyn.
Rob  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 2:37:57 AM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 356 post(s)
I feel like I've seen that with S+ inside my work virtual machine sometimes, but never really have spent the time to investigate.

It seems to be some kind of race condition, which are always tricky to isolate.

I'll try to see if there's anything I can find.
Ferawyn  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 8:31:36 AM(UTC)
Ferawyn

Groups: Approved
Netherlands

I have figured out a solution, and a race condition does make sense.

I've been doing some performance testing/tuning and noticed most of my performance cores were being parked by windows. Some googling led me to a ParkControl tool by Bitsum. It turns out that in the 'Balanced' power profile Windows tries to aggressively park and down clock my performance cores, pushing work to the efficiency cores. Switching to Bitum's 'Highest Performance' profile disables parking and forces the cores to always run at their highest frequency.

Switching back to Balanced I can replicate the stuck point within 5-10 gestures. Switching to High Performance I cannot, and while in this mode I have not noticed a single issue.

I'm going to do some more experimentation with these performance settings, but I'm happy with this as a fix. Let me know if there's anything I can help with if you still want to find that race condition. I'm fairly certain I can replicate it on demand now. :-)

Cheers,

Ferawyn.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2024 12:06:10 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 356 post(s)
Ah, that's interesting. I always set my power profile to high (just the standard Windows setting, but I will check out that tool).