StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
randomConstant  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2021 2:21:12 AM(UTC)
randomConstant

Groups: Translators, Approved

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi all, I hope you're in the best of health and spirits.

Boring Background:
S+ is definitely a swiss-army-knife for many of us while using Windows. It has lots of great features including security ones such as the ability to encrypt settings files. ThumpUp

The feature is very good and I often use it when I normally have S+ on my flash drive and using other's computers. But it is not really practical to enter password every time Windows starts as it breaks emersion. A lot of scripts on S+ are actually pretty general for most of us and we prefer not to lock S+ altogether just so we don't have to input password to access them.

Another reason to not lock entire settings file is when we want to benefit from S+ load scripts for automation. For example: we do not want to have our.. lets say "intruder detector script" to require password upon Windows login as that would defeat the purpose of having S+ sneakily operating in the background to do things in our absence. Unsure

Feature Functionality:
I was thinking it would be nice to have a feature where one could mark certain categories/scripts/applications/hotkeys as confidential and have those scripts be encrypted, disabled, and non-readable in normal operation.
User can unlock confidential mode of S+ by entering a password whenever he needs to access one of those scripts and have them available until S+ closes or user locks confidential mode.

Feature Praise:
I think this feature can be very helpful and make S+ more versatile and powerful and allow users to both, use S+ without entering password every time S+ settings is accessed/opened and also allow users to keep sensitive scripts and data safe in S+ without worrying about it being compromised.

Feature Hack-ish Thoughts:
I'm not sure if it is already possible to do so using code, like maybe keep those settings stored in an encrypted zip and load it with password when needed and update zip whenever changes are made to those scripts in S+ or some other way. and I haven't seen an already existing post about it so thought I'd talk about it.

In Short:
S+ is like a smartphone for Windows for many of us, we want to use it without a lock screen but we would also like the ability to lock individual apps(scripts) within it.

I hope I managed to describe the problem well enough and that there isn't a duplicate request already.
Maybe this can be our christmas gift from Rob. Laugh
Rob  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 4:26:22 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Yeah, sorry but that's not something which I plan to implement anytime soon :(

However, you could use a script like you mentioned to handle this, or probably better would be to create a plug-in which would give you a lot more control, the ability to have a user interface, etc.

In either case, you create your actions and they call the code/plugin to execute a certain function, then the script/plugin checks to see if you need to enter a password or if you already have (if you want to only enter pwd once per session).

thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
randomConstant on 12/15/2021(UTC)
randomConstant  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2021 1:41:01 PM(UTC)
randomConstant

Groups: Translators, Approved

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Got it, hopefully someday Laugh