StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tefo_d  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2021 10:02:26 AM(UTC)
tefo_d

Groups: Approved
Germany

Hi,
thanks for this great piece of program. Playing around with scripts and try to implement my workflow (currently with Displayfusion) into StrokesPlus :)

Can it be evaluated in Global Actions\Mouse Events\Release - if there was no gesture has been detected?
Background:
I want to 'abuse' the stroke button for a default action (e.g. center window to middle of screen),
if there was no gesture has been detected (while keeping the existing gestures).

I know, that this can be done with easily with a gesture - but just click/release is much easier instead.
Greetings..

Edited by user Sunday, December 5, 2021 12:37:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added: keeping the gestures

randomConstant  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2021 2:09:18 PM(UTC)
randomConstant

Groups: Translators, Approved

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi, I'm no expert but here's what I think..

It might be technically possible with some tweaks/settings but that will most likely come with serious performance and usability issues, every time mouse button is clicked (which is many many times for a normal user), that action will be triggered which seems redundant.

Here are my tips which might help:
  1. If every button click is going to trigger that action and those clicks are most likely going to be at random intervals then its better to create a loop or a timer for that action at that point.
  2. If effort-to-draw-gesture is the issue then even a simple drag-mouse-down gesture or a rocker combination (click left then right mouse button in a flow or vice versa, see sample rocker script for details) will be better, two clicks instead of one.

I do not know which use case might end up needing a default or fallback action but most likely that will end up getting triggered more than required and depending on the action might hinder whatever the user is doing.

Welcome to S+ community and congrats on having a usable Windows now BigGrin
thanks 1 user thanked randomConstant for this useful post.
tefo_d on 12/5/2021(UTC)
tefo_d  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2021 3:16:01 PM(UTC)
tefo_d

Germany

I am using the X1/X2 Buttons for the primary/secondary strike buttons. I guess, that this will not lead to an performance issue - due I am not using the usual mouse buttons.
As mentioned in another topic, the rocker thing helps here as well - with the capture modifier "either" - i can combine my strike with the right button etc. This is handsome and fast.
Thanks!
randomConstant  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2021 4:17:35 PM(UTC)
randomConstant

Glad to know, although the discussion is now split in two posts much like rockers Laugh I am curious about what kind of action needed to be performed so often Mellow

Also just a personal taste thing, I've found using X1/X2 or other non-traditional buttons for gestures can be tricky. They can cause unusual stress on thumb or create usability issues when, lets say you are working on another machine with a traditional mouse. and if you think working without S+ will be manageable on other machines wait till you need to quickly copy and paste or switch applications on them LOL

If you're used to them then its best but I would personally recommend sticking to right mouse button when introducing S+ to new comers.

Enjoy S+ Laugh
thanks 1 user thanked randomConstant for this useful post.
tefo_d on 12/6/2021(UTC)
tefo_d  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 5:46:35 AM(UTC)
tefo_d

Germany

Quote:
I am curious about what kind of action needed to be performed so often

I am an efficiency freak. On a 43" 4k Monitor the most often performed thing is moving and resizing of application windows.
Besides of moving the windows top bottom-left, bottom-right, upper-left etc. the most common thing is centering a
window to the middle of the screen and resizing it. If I need to be focused to a web page for example, it helps if this
windows stays in the middle of the screen with an appropriate size.

The last years I used DisplayFusion and shortcuts for that. But I missed this feature with mouse-only.
I am happy, that this can now done with StrokesPlus.

Centering & Resizing can be done without script and with the steps easily.
This one I am going to place to the double click rocker thing for example
Code:
//this script divides the monitor screen into 4 areas
//it checks where the center of the focused window is currently located
//and resizes and moves it to the corresponding next area

// Split screen into 2 columns, 1 row (50/50 in the middle)
var screenRegions = sp.GetRegions(action.Window.Screen.WorkingArea, 2, 2);
// Get the column Rectangles of two columns and two rows
var leftColTop = Rectangle.Round(screenRegions.First(r => r.Column == 1 && r.Row == 1).Rect);
var rightColTop = Rectangle.Round(screenRegions.First(r => r.Column == 2 && r.Row == 1).Rect);
var leftColBottom = Rectangle.Round(screenRegions.First(r => r.Column == 1 && r.Row == 2).Rect);
var rightColBottom = Rectangle.Round(screenRegions.First(r => r.Column == 2 && r.Row == 2).Rect);

var appWnd = sp.ForegroundWindow();
var appRect = appWnd.Rectangle;
var appWidthCenter = appRect.X + Math.round(appRect.Width / 2);
var appHeightCenter = appRect.Y + Math.round(appRect.Height / 2);
var screenWidthCenter = Math.round(action.Window.Screen.Bounds.Width / 2);
var screenHeightCenter = Math.round(action.Window.Screen.Bounds.Height / 2);

switch (true) {
    case (appWidthCenter <= screenWidthCenter && appHeightCenter < screenHeightCenter):
        action.Window.Rectangle = rightColTop;
        break;
    case (appWidthCenter >= screenWidthCenter && appHeightCenter <= screenHeightCenter):
        action.Window.Rectangle = rightColBottom;
        break;
    case (appWidthCenter >= screenWidthCenter && appHeightCenter >= screenHeightCenter):
        action.Window.Rectangle = leftColBottom;
        break;
    case (appWidthCenter <= screenWidthCenter && appHeightCenter >= screenHeightCenter):
        action.Window.Rectangle = leftColTop;
        break;
}

Quote:
I would personally recommend sticking to right mouse button when introducing S+ to new comers.

You are right. Right button is more comfortable and better for the thumb than X1 or X2; but the right button is been used as well for drag & drop in windows or in some applications.
randomConstant  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 8:57:28 AM(UTC)
randomConstant

Blink

Makes sense, especially since X1/X2 are not used anywhere else that often.

Glad you got it working with S+ :)