StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
liuchina  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2019 11:58:18 PM(UTC)
liuchina

Groups: Approved
China

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Rob, I haven't found a way to use It about Text Expansion. Can you write a detailed use case? Thank you so much.
Rob  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 2:20:39 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
It's not something that many people may use, but it was something that seemed to be a good fit in the software, and something I do actually use!

The most common case for text expansions is to save time on commonly typed text. Like someone might have a text expansion for their email signature, so they type "sig" and press space, then "sig" is backspaced and replaced by:

Code:
Regards,
Rob

Or for me I use it frequently in SQL Server Management Studio, where it makes writing queries much faster.

"sel" - expands to "select * from "
"inn" - expands to "inner join "
"lef" - expands to "left join "

My wife is in sales and has frequently used blocks of text that she always needs to send to people, so she uses multiple expansions to save time, where she types "cy20" and it expands to a full paragraph of text which describes a certain product and restrictions.

So ultimately text expansions are pretty simple in terms of what they are, but I'm sure some people utilize them extensively and maybe even use very advanced scenarios.
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
soooulp on 9/8/2021(UTC)
liuchina  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2019 12:20:00 AM(UTC)
liuchina

Groups: Approved
China

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your reply, Rob.Text Expansion is a great design.
I think it would save us a lot of time if we could quickly enter a piece of commonly used script code. I can use it normally in notpad++, but I try to use it when I'm writing a script in S.net, and it doesn't work.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2019 3:20:04 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Yeah, the problem is that the text expansion token is cleared when the active control or window changes, and in the S+ script editor, the auto complete popup interferes with this - even if you don't see it since it can popup and immediately disappear which resets the typed token.

So it resulted in inconsistent behavior, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't - so I just prevented text expansions from working in the Settings window.

I'll add it to my list to research, but I just did a quick test since it had been so long ago, and it still wasn't working consistently. One time it would work, the next time it wouldn't.
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
liuchina on 12/25/2019(UTC)