StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
xqc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:51:36 AM(UTC)
xqc

Groups: Approved
China

I used a mouse gesture named "wgestures" before. As it has not been updated for a long time, I switch to StrokesPlus. I find it is more powerful but I notice it only supports up to two stroke buttons.

It is inconvenient to me because I use four stroke buttons: right button, middle button, X1 and X2.

It will be a great help if More stroke buttons can be added.

If possible, it will be better if the keyboard key can also be regarded as stroke buttons. For example, pressing the "win" key and move the mouse can also be regarded as a gesture.
Rob  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 2:42:37 AM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 356 post(s)
It becomes increasingly complicated to manage state in an efficient and seamless manner, just adding a second button when I created StrokesPlus.net was a big undertaking. Also, it's very rare that people even use two buttons, much less four!

However, with the use of modifiers, you should be able to get close. For example, if you make an action which uses the right button and the gesture L; then make another action with the right button, gesture L, and modifier X1.

Hold the right button and while you're drawing the L, you just tap the X1 button once and it executes the second action. Hold right button and draw L without tapping X1 and it is a different action.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I wanted to make sure you are aware of that functionality.
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
xqc on 10/9/2019(UTC)
xqc  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:04:36 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

Thank you for your reply Bob.

The method you propsed is feasible. but not close enough to my thoght.

Now I use right button and X1 button as stroke buttons in StrokesPlus, as I use them more frequently. And I use middle button and X2 button as stroke buttons in "wgestures".

So is there a way that I can use two StrokesPlus at the same time? One for right button and X1 button and the other for middle button and X2 button. I try to use the Installer Version and Portable Version of StrokesPlus at the same time but it failed.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:25:49 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I don't generally recommend it (it's not a supported configuration), just due to having multiple hooks installed and the chances for them to interfere with each other....however, all that said, yes you can.

You'll need to run the second instance with two parameters, one to tell S+ to allow multiple instances, the other to point to a different settings file since you will need to have a different configuration.

For example:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\StrokesPlus.net\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="C:\Temp\StrokesPlus.net.bin"

Obviously change the path to wherever the second config file is located. Note that the config file must already be there before you start (you can use the file from the portable ZIP as a starting point), or it will fall back to the default rules and load your current config.

You don't need to run the portable and installer versions, you can make a shortcut with the parameters to run the signed installer version for the second instance.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:40:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:28:10 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Oh and please report any issues. While it's technically not a supported configuration, I would like to know about them so I can possibly try to resolve them when I have time. They will be low priority, of course.
Rob  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:32:01 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Also note that there are some things which will not flow correctly, like the Update Check and installer. The installer looks for and closes the app running which obtained the mutex "StrokesPlus.net", but additional instances will not have that mutex, so the installer will fail because the app is still running and cannot overwrite the files. There may be some other oddities, I am not sure as I haven't really tested it much.
xqc  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:42:31 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

Thanks a lot for your patient guidance. I succeed in running the two StrokesPlus and setting them correctly. I also make them autostart when windows start up. It works well so far.

If any issues occur I will let you know as soon as possible.
xqc  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:42:31 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

The method you proposed works well. But there is another problem. I'd like to use the portable version of Strokes+, as I use it on different computers. Because the locations of Strokes+ on different computers are different, it is inconvenient to set the shortcut everytime.

So is there anyway that the code you give: "C:\Program Files\StrokesPlus.net\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="C:\Temp\StrokesPlus.net.bin" can be expressed in relative path?

The shortcut of "StrokesPlus.net.exe" itself can be expressed in relative path :"%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe " "StrokesPlus.net.exe", but I don't know how to express "C:\Program Files\StrokesPlus.net\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="C:\Temp\StrokesPlus.net.bin" in in relative path.

Rob  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:05:06 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Do you have the portable version on a USB drive or something like that?
Or do you have the portable version in different folders on different computers?

Can you give me an example of the folder locations/differences for two computers, so I can better understand the configuration and be able to assist?
xqc  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 12:55:55 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

OK. Not on a USB drive. But in different folders on different computers. But not much different.
I have three computers.

For some reason, on computer A, the location of StrokesPlus.net.exe is "C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe".
So the shortcut of the second instance is "C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\strokesplus.net - second.bin",
as the the config file of the second instance is C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\strokesplus.net - second.bin.

And on computer B, the location of StrokesPlus.net.exe is "D:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe".
So the shortcut of the second instance is "D:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="D:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\strokesplus.net - second.bin".

And on computer C, the location "C:\Portable Application\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe".
So the shortcut of the second instance is "C:\Portable Application\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\StrokesPlus.net.exe" allowmultipleinstances settingsfile="C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9\strokesplus.net - second.bin".

You see, as S+ is in different folders on different computers, the shortcut of the second instance is different. I wonder if the code you give before can be written in relative path, then the shortcut of the second instance is the same even S+ in different folders. So the portable version of the S+ is truly "portable", as I can put it on a USB drive and use it on different computers. Is that possible?
Rob  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:49:49 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I guess my first question would be: Why put the StrokesPlus.net program in a folder with the version name?

"StrokesPlus.net_Portable_0.3.5.9"

Why not just:

C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net.exe
- with: settingsfile="C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\strokesplus.net - second.bin"

D:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net.exe
- with: "D:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\strokesplus.net - second.bin"

C:\Portable Application\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\StrokesPlus.net.exe
- with: settingsfile="C:\Portable Program\StrokesPlus.net_Portable\strokesplus.net - second.bin"

Then updating to new versions of S+ wouldn't require changing any shortcuts. Of course, that doesn't address having unknown paths, like on a USB drive.

I will add some extra checks in the next release, where it will first try the exact path specified.
If the file doesn't exist at the location specified, it will then see if the file exists within the application's folder.

Meaning, it will assume that you've only supplied a file name and it will look for that file in the same folder where StrokesPlus.net is running from, so you wouldn't need a full path and the extra setting (.bin) file could just be in the same folder as where StrokesPlus.net is running.
xqc  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:49:58 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

Ok, I'm looking forward your next version!

Oh a little suggestion about running two S+. The trays of the two S+ are exactly the same and hard to distinguish. So I wonder if the tray icon can be changed or the hint of the tray can have the information of the stroke buttons which S+ is using.
[img=https://ibb.co/XZxFjhM]hint of the tray of S+[/img]

I prefer the latter one.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:53:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:53:45 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I already released the update earlier today, version 0.3.6.0.

But I also just released 0.3.6.1 which has a different set of tray icons which are used when the allowmultipleinstances argument is specified.

It kind of looks like a 2 (for second instance), but it's really just a backward S since I'm not a designer =)

It will always use that icon if allowmultipleinstances is used, so make sure you start your first instance of StrokesPlus.net without any parameters so it uses the normal icon.

Edit: I know you said you prefer the latter, but I felt the visual was more effective than waiting for a tip to show...plus it was quicker :)

Edited by user Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:05:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

xqc  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:09:35 AM(UTC)
xqc

China

Ok, I tried, and everything works well.

Now S+ is a perfect software for me!!
petercncn  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2020 4:20:29 PM(UTC)
petercncn

China

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
I already released the update earlier today, version 0.3.6.0.

But I also just released 0.3.6.1 which has a different set of tray icons which are used when the allowmultipleinstances argument is specified.

It kind of looks like a 2 (for second instance), but it's really just a backward S since I'm not a designer =)

It will always use that icon if allowmultipleinstances is used, so make sure you start your first instance of StrokesPlus.net without any parameters so it uses the normal icon.

Edit: I know you said you prefer the latter, but I felt the visual was more effective than waiting for a tip to show...plus it was quicker :)

Thank you very much, Rob.
It works, but I found a small bug.

When I creat a windows shortcut and modify the shortcut with your guide like
"C:\Program Files\StrokesPlus.net\StrokesPlus.net.exe" settingsfile="D:\StrokesPlus.net\Peter_settings_StrokesPlus.net\StrokesPlus.net.bin"
and put this shoutcut to C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
I want S+ to auto start with my personal StrokesPlus.net.bin when my login my PC, and it works.

But sometimes the shortcut C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\StrokesPlus.net.lnk was changed to the defualt setting and S+ auto start with defualt StrokesPlus.net.bin. I think maybe when I agree to upgrade the S+, or when I disable and re-enable S+ auto start in windows task manager -- startup tab, the shoutcut in Start Menu\Programs\Startup\StrokesPlus.net.lnk wil update to defualt setting. So I rename my shoutcut to Start Menu\Programs\Startup\StrokesPlus.net2.lnk and delete the one auto create by Windows in the same part. But S+ doesn't auto start when Windows is logged in.

In short, How can I let S+ auto start with Windows, and with my own StrokesPlus.net.bin, and the shortcut will not be changed by some centain reason.

I'm using S+ with the installing version now. If I want to use the portable version, How can I let S+ auto start with Windows, and with my own StrokesPlus.net.bin, and the shortcut will not be changed by some centain reason. And how can I upgrade the app when there is a ner version available?

Rob  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2020 2:19:42 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Windows has certain rules for certain programs allowed to start with Windows automatically. S+ runs with UI Access (elevated) so it must be signed and installed to Program Files.

The installer does this so it works fine. However, I'm not sure why making your own shortcut would cause Windows to disregard it - though it's not likely something I can resolve as it is Windows who governs the rules.

You can use the portable version, just know that unless you run it as administrator it won't be able to interact with elevated applications (Task Manager for example).

What is the reason you have it running from a different configuration file location than default? There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just curious so I can understand and try to offer alternatives.
Is it for the purpose of this thread, to run two instances of S+?
petercncn  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 3:45:11 PM(UTC)
petercncn

China

I tested again. I rename my shoutcut to Start Menu\Programs\Startup\StrokesPlus.net2.lnk and delete the one auto create by Windows in the same part, and if I enable S+ in Windows setting, the S+ will auto start well when Windows is logged in.

The problem is almost solved.

The reason I start the S+ with my personal setting file StrokesPlus.net.bin stored in disk D: , is that I often recover the Windows OS from a backup image and also sync the setting file by saying dropbox to my pc in the office.

I have made some setting by reference from this threat https://forum.strokesplu...8241-I-failed-at-syncing
petercncn  
#18 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 3:57:57 PM(UTC)
petercncn

China

I got the problem that the shotcut in the "Start Menu\Programs\Startup" is changed by some certain reason to the default, maybe the reason is the auto upgrading of S+.

Will the S+ upgrade program itself reset the shotcut in the "Start Menu\Programs\Startup" when a upgrade is going?