StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
randomConstant  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 7:55:01 PM(UTC)
randomConstant

Groups: Translators, Approved

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi all,

so this might not be possible depending on how S+ locking code is set up but I wanted to ask if there is anyway we can differentiate whether S+ is starting or its settings are being opened.

I know settings file gets encrypted when S+ is password protected and therefore requires password input at startup as well as every time its settings are accessed.

I would like to keep it password protected when opening settings window but not when it starts up, reason being that I have certain tasks in Load section which I want to execute without having to enter a password at startup.

Is system loading the settings file and a user opening S+(which loads the settings file) really that similar? Confused

Any clarification and help is appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by user Friday, December 24, 2021 7:58:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: appreciate -> appreciated

Rob  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2021 7:13:22 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
I mean, you could just hide the tray icon in your Load script as a simple solution - the only way the settings window could be opened then is by executing a command to open the settings window (or show the tray icon again).
Code:
// Hide tray icon
StrokesPlus.Program.TrayIcon.Visible = false;
// Show tray icon
StrokesPlus.Program.TrayIcon.Visible = true;

// Open settings window
StrokesPlus.Program.SettingsWindow.Show();
// or
sp.OpenSettings();

However, in 0.5.5.4 I've added a hidden setting to enable a silent start, which disables the loading screen and initially hides the tray icon.

NOTE: This will likely affect activating other windows from S+ - flashing taskbar button instead of window brought to foreground. This is why there's a loading screen, to make the necessary calls and satisfy Microsoft's requirements for an app to bring other windows to the foreground.

This does not protect S+ in any way, however you can only get to the settings screen via a script executing, like a gesture or hotkey to show the tray icon and/or open the Settings window.

Just execute this (like from the console window, only needs to run once), then the next time S+ starts it will be silent. Change to false to revert back to normal startup.
Code:
sp_config.SilentStart = true;
sp_config.Save();
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
randomConstant on 12/29/2021(UTC)
randomConstant  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 1:58:32 AM(UTC)
randomConstant

Thanks for the tips Rob

One issue though, I am trying to hide the tray icon on load using code:
Code:
StrokesPlus.Program.TrayIcon.Visible = false;

But S+ does not seem to hide the icon when S+ launches(or when I reload it using sp.Reload), it does however hide the icon as soon as I open S+ settings and save settings.

I've tried using the following code to save the settings after the tray icon code in the loading script but it doesn't seem to work.
Code:
sp_config.Save();

Tried normal and admin mode, both have this weird issue. Am I missing something?

I updated S+ to version 0.5.5.4(latest as of right now) thinking its an old bug but the behavior still persists.
randomConstant  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 2:21:48 AM(UTC)
randomConstant

and weirdly enough silent start is working perfectly fine for now, it brings windows to foreground as well instead of flashing the taskbar icons of those applications. Laugh

on the side note, I've seen Rob's post about run S+ as admin which goes like..
Quote:
You can use the portable version, just know that unless you run it as administrator it won't be able to interact with elevated applications (Task Manager for example).

and I had thought that meant S+ wouldn't be able to access network activity for example but I just ran S+ (portable) without admin privilege(though I am logged in on the windows Administrator account) and everything seems to work fine for now. I would be glad if someone can elaborate on that comment.

EDIT: even more weird, lack of admin rights is visible after windows restart, so now I can not open task manager in normal operation as I originally suspected.
I can open task manager using Windows shortcut through S+ though but its no fun when I can't execute S+ gestures in task manager, so shifting back to 'admin privilege' for now.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 29, 2021 2:59:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 3:51:38 AM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
I think the tray icon is loaded after initialization, meaning after load script.

Try just making a script to fire it after a delay, put it at the end of your load script:
Code:
sp.CreateTimer("hideTrayIcon", 500, -1, "StrokesPlus.Program.TrayIcon.Visible = false;"); 
randomConstant  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2021 10:31:13 AM(UTC)
randomConstant

I see, got it.

I think silent start is better as there doesn't seem to be any drawbacks to it so far, so I'll use that and switch to this custom method if required.

Thanks Rob