StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Prism  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 11:06:48 PM(UTC)
Prism

Groups: Approved

Hi

Not sure where this belongs, so feel free to move it.

Discovered the successor StrokesPlus.net after setting up my new PC. I’m wondering if there’s any way to have it ignore right-clicks completely when disabled (ie inside an app that is on the ignore list). Games freeze for a second whenever I right-click. IIRC the old version did not have this issue. I’ve made a habit of closing StrokesPlus.net altogether whenever I play a game but this isn’t ideal.

I’ve used the original StrokesPlus for a very long time. Many thanks for this amazing piece of software that cannot be missed!
Rob  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 11:51:53 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Yeah, you definitely don't want to only have a game as an ignored app, because S+ still has to intercept the right-click and determine if it should be ignored - for a game, that's not good.

This is what I recommend:

1. For the ignored app definition in the Ignore List, check the box Disable S+ if this App Gains Focus
2. Options > Advanced - check the box Enable on No Ignore App Match

So now when the game becomes the foreground window, S+ will disable itself completely (not capture mouse events).
And when you tab out or exit the game, S+ will re-enable itself.

There's a WinEvent hook installed that Windows calls to tell S+ when the foreground window changes, which is how this logic works while S+ is disabled.

Note that the Enable on No Ignore App Match applies outside of the context of this game, so depending on how you use things, you could have S+ become enabled unexpectedly. Just so you remember this in case that happens and you're wondering what's going on. For most people, you probably won't run into.
Prism  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:37:15 AM(UTC)
Prism

Thanks so much for your reply.

Unfortunately, this is how I had it set up already, but it looks like StrokesPlus.net may not be the problem: It seems to work fine with some games but not with others (eg Diabotical). Not sure what to make of it now. I reckon the original StrokesPlus would show the exact same behaviour.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 1:55:26 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

But the issue goes away when S+ is closed?

Can you set the game into windows mode so you can see the tray icons? If you update Taskbar settings to set the S+ icon to always show, when the game is the foreground window the S+ icon should be grayed out.

If it's not, then there's either a bug, or the ignored entry for the game needs some tweaking as it's not being detected.
Prism  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 11:00:50 PM(UTC)
Prism

There are no issues with S+ closed. As expected, the tray icon is greyed out when it’s working, it remains blue when it isn’t. S+ doesn’t reenable itself upon closing the game. The issue doesn’t appear to be game-specific either. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

It seems to be related to the more recently made changes to Windows’ FSO (full-screen optimisations) which optimises full-screen apps including games to run in a hybrid windowed/full-screen mode for the benefits of both. This would explain why I wasn’t seeing the issue on another PC which is on an older Windows build still.

I really appreciate your help, thanks. I will remember to update this thread should I find out more, although it looks like S+ really isn’t the root problem here.
berlihingen  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 5:46:27 PM(UTC)
berlihingen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't get S+ to ignore games – Enable on No Ignore App Match, Module Name, Path, Active and Disable S+ If Gains Focus – all set; switching Ignore if Full Screen also changes nothing. What I'm missing? Thanks.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 10, 2020 6:10:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:07:55 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

You can try running the trace version of S+, see this thread:

https://forum.strokesplu...ilds-for-Troubleshooting

Select only ApplicationMatchingGeneralEvents and WinEventHookGeneralEvents in the Set Trace Options screen (on start first run, or right-click tray icon).

Then exit S+ trace, start the game, tab out to something like File Explorer - this is just to reduce the amount of info in the trace log file.
Then start S+ trace (separate Start Menu icon), switch to the game, and exit S+ trace.

Review the log file (see the thread in the link above) and paste the section where it's trying to match the game to the ignored list of apps. Or paste the whole thing if you're not sure which part is right.
berlihingen  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:27:22 PM(UTC)
berlihingen

here is block with game's exe (grw.exe):
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): WinAPI method hProcess: 2316
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): WinAPI method success, fileName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands\GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): Returning path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands\GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): AppPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): AppImageName: GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::CriteriaMatched(): [Regex] Criteria String: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* Actual Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::IgnoredApplicationMatched(): Window Not Ignored
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: WinEventHook.cs::WinEventProc(): WinEventProc: FireOnWindowFocus enabled, executing action
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: WinEventHook.cs::WinEventProc(): Enter WinEventProc
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: WinEventHook.cs::WinEventProc(): EVENT_OBJECT_FOCUS
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: WinEventHook.cs::FireWindowFocusChangeThread(): FireWindowFocusChangeThread: ENTER
11/10/2020 9:19:42 PM: WinEventHook.cs::FireWindowFocusChangeThread(): FireWindowFocusChangeThread: EXIT
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): OwnerClassName: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): RootClassName: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): ParentClassName: #32769
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): ControlClassName: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): OwnerWindowText: Ghost Recon® Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): RootWindowText: Ghost Recon® Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): ParentWindowText:
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): ControlWindowText: Ghost Recon® Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): ControlID: 0
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): WinAPI GetWindowThreadProcessId, pid: 7696
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): WinAPI method hProcess: 2224
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): WinAPI method success, fileName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands\GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::GetProcessPath(): Returning path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands\GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): AppPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::LoadApplicationQualifiers(): AppImageName: GRW.exe
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::CriteriaMatched(): [Regex] Criteria String: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* Actual Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::IgnoredApplicationMatched(): Window Not Ignored
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::CriteriaMatched(): Criteria String: SysListView32 Actual Value: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::CriteriaMatched(): Criteria String: MozillaWindowClass Actual Value: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::CriteriaMatched(): Criteria String: Chrome_WidgetWin_1 Actual Value: ScimitarEngineWindowClass
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::SetApplication(): Set App: No App Match, Setting to Global App - hWnd = 5179640
11/10/2020 9:19:43 PM: ApplicationMatching.cs::ActionMatched(): GestureName: Right - Secondary Stroke: False - CtrlDown: False CtrlDownBef: False AltDown: False AltDownBef: False ShiftDown: False ShiftDownBef: False LeftDown: False LeftDownBefore: False MidDown: False MidDownBef: False RightDown: False RightDownBef: False X1Down: False X1DownBef: False X2Down: False X2DownBef: False WheelDown: False WheelUp: False
thanks 1 user thanked berlihingen for this useful post.
Prism on 11/10/2020(UTC)
Prism  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:05:40 PM(UTC)
Prism

Sorry I had forgotten about this thread till I got a notification for it tonight. The issue where S+ would remain enabled for an ignored window hasn’t reoccurred on my PC for a long time.

However, S+ needs to be reenabled manually whenever I close an ignored window now. ‘Enable on No Ignore App Match’ is ticked. This issue doesn’t really bother me though.

Hope we can get to the bottom of it with berlhinger’s logs!
Rob  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:40:57 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Code:
[Regex] Criteria String: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* 
Actual Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
Window Not Ignored

This appears to be the problem.

It shows you are using the Use Regex option.

The pattern: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* is not going to match, because in regex parentheses are special characters and need to be escaped with a backslash:

This C:\\Program Files \(x86\)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* will match successfully against C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

To test this, I went here (https://regexlib.com/RETester.aspx) and put your pattern into the Regular Expression field, then put C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands into the Source field, and clicked Submit.

No Results.

Changed the Regular Expression to C:\\Program Files \(x86\)\\Ubisoft\\Ubisoft Game Launcher\\games\\.* and it matched successfully.

Prism:
You may have to run the trace version like I posted above and examine the results, as I simply cannot reproduce the issue Huh
Prism  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:42:11 PM(UTC)
Prism

Here is mine. Sorry for the clutter. I tried the alt+tab method as instructed but could not replicate the issue that way. Instead, I opened S+, opened Steam, opened the game (Quake Champions), exited the game after which S+ remained disabled and finally exited S+. Hope this helps!
berlihingen  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:14:17 PM(UTC)
berlihingen

Thanks, now it's working, which actually odd, because it wasn't while there was a plain path without ticked "regex" – I don't know regex (and hate it for being an option in every place where humble wildcards could do the job:) so I tried to use it as last resort just before making initial post.
Anyway, it works now and only one puzzle left: how other people can operate their comps without this program? And I spent whole day recently comparing alternatives which not in huge amount in fact. People are strange (and use Regex).
Thanks!
Rob  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:30:02 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Prism:

What do you have going on in your Global Actions > Window Events > Foreground Window Change?

I see the last items in the file is Quake, nothing after.

I added a couple trace entries in the unpublished 0.3.9.8, install the regular version below, then the trace version (the trace is only the EXE and it references other files in the full install).

Installer: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/installer
Trace Installer: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/installertrace

OR

Portable: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/portable
Trace Portable: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/portabletrace

Then run the trace version and in the Set Trace Options window, also check DisableEnableEvents.

Do the same steps again, maybe switching focus to Explorer before exiting S+, and post the log again.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:30:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:37:53 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Quote:
I don't know regex (and hate it for being an option in every place where humble wildcards could do the job)

Yeah, I do understand that...well to some degree, as I love the power and flexibility of regex! I also went under the assumption that since regex is available, there was no need to support wildcards, since it could get almost as cryptic if someone wanted to put wildcards at various parts of the path (never underestimate people...) and would come here complaining that didn't work right!

Quote:
I spent whole day recently comparing alternatives which not in huge amount in fact

There really aren't many out there, I think S+ is the only one truly being maintained and with (I like to think) responsive support BigGrin
berlihingen  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 6:38:53 AM(UTC)
berlihingen

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
responsive support

Now it's proven! BigGrin

Prism  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:41:03 AM(UTC)
Prism

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post
What do you have going on in your Global Actions > Window Events > Foreground Window Change?

Nothing: steps, script

Here is the new log. Opened S+, opened the game (Quake Live) from Steam, exited the game after which S+ remained disabled, switched between explorer.exe a couple of times and finally exited S+.

I’ve just discovered something really interesting:

• With Quake Live and Quake Champions I can replicate the issue once after rebooting my PC. Once it has occurred, S+ will always reactivate itself as it should.
  • With Unreal Tournament, I can consistently replicate the issue by restarting S+ without rebooting my PC. Once it has occurred, S+ will always reactivate itself as it should.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 9:01:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:15:42 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Did you check the DisableEnableEvents trace option? I'm not seeing any of the new trace entries I added in the log file you posted. I think I might have an idea of at least the base reason for this issue, but I need to confirm by seeing those entries.

If you do have it checked, then make sure you've installed the latest trace EXE I posted.

I think we're getting pretty close!
Prism  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 11:50:43 AM(UTC)
Prism

Here it is.

Repeated the steps after installing this time. I hope it helps.
Rob  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 7:03:03 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Ah, I think it has to do with these two lines:
Code:
11/11/2020 12:41:31 PM: frmSurface.cs::DisplayChanged(): ENTER
11/11/2020 12:41:31 PM: TrayManager.cs::SetDefaultIcon(): DISABLING

When the display changes, S+ needs to recalibrate to ensure the gesture surface is properly covering the desktop. During this process S+ reloads itself and remembers whether or not it was disabled.

However, in this pathway, I had a bad logic block which resulted in the Windows Event Hook not being rehooked after it was unhooked during the reload.
So S+ was no longer detecting foreground window changes, thus not able to check the window and re-enable S+.

I've updated these downloads, try it again and let me know if it's working properly.

Installer: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/installer
Trace Installer: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/installertrace

OR

Portable: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/portable
Trace Portable: https://www.strokesplus.net/download/0.3.9.8/portabletrace

I don't play many games, the only one I used to play was WoW, but I always had it running at the same native resolution/etc, so there was never a display change being triggered - which is why I couldn't reproduce it.

Of course, that's assuming this fixes it BigGrin

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:00:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
Prism on 11/12/2020(UTC)
Prism  
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 6:28:31 AM(UTC)
Prism

It’s been completely fixed! This build deactivates and reactivates itself with no issues. Cheers!
Rob  
#21 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 2:53:24 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Huzzah!

This has been a thorn in my side for a while now, glad it's resolved.

Thanks for your help in debugging!
thanks 1 user thanked Rob for this useful post.
Prism on 11/15/2020(UTC)