StrokesPlus.net
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Surenpahlav  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 12:25:49 AM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Groups: Approved

This is a problem I had with original S+ and I never understood why. Now I got it again with the new S+ and I know the culprit, it is Firefox.

1. The problem is that the context menu pops up randomly when gesturing, whilst Firefox is open.
2. The problem started after I used the Firefox developer tools to edit its context menus. Through Firefox "Browser Toolbox", there is an option in it that says "disable popup auto-hide". Have to enable this in order to find the CSS-selector for the context menu item you want to remove (using userchrome.css). Anyway after enabling this the context menus stay open no matter what, until you disable it again.
3. So I did this, then disabled it, but right after the random context menu popping up when gesturing started again.

Now I know this is not a S+ bug, but entirely of firefox, but any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
Rob  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 2:43:57 PM(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Translators, Members, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Since I started using gesture programs, it has highlighted how often mouse buttons actually start to fail or become erratic. Without gestures, I find that the only other time I would really hold a mouse button for any amount of time was during gaming to pan the camera around. I've replaced my mouse 5 times because of failing buttons after a couple years, I would only notice it while drawing gestures or brief stutters when playing WoW and panning the camera. But the gestures cause the most noticeable problem; WoW just picks back up and starts panning again, but a gesture interruption can be very noticeable and have big impacts.

A context menu shows usually only happens because a right mouse up event occurs. Before you drive yourself crazy trying to find out what configuration options/etc. could be causing this, I would strongly recommend ruling out a failing mouse button. It's happened many times to me personally and other users posting very odd behavior which would be explained by releasing and pressing the mouse again- and them confirming with a different mouse that it was a failing button.

What happens is, the internal button contact starts to fail/lose elasticity/develops a residue and while you're holding the mouse button, for a truly instant moment in time, the button connection is interrupted. So what Windows sees is the mouse button being held down, then in an instant it has been released then held down again.

When this happens, does the gesture start to draw again from where the context menu appeared?

Exit S+ and open Notepad, hold the right button down, and just drag around a lot. Are there split seconds where you can see a context menu starting to appear? Do the same in Firefox. That setting in Firefox probably causes it to be noticed because when right-up and right-down happens so fast, the menu may not even start to render before it's dismissed because the right-down happened again - but that setting disables the auto dismissal of the context menu.

There are other possibilities, but the likelihood of a failing mouse button is the first thing to absolutely rule out, since a context menu usually only shows when a right up event occurs, and S+ consumes all of those while it's behind held down (and before cancel delay, etc.).
Surenpahlav  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 7:31:01 PM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Originally Posted by: Rob Go to Quoted Post

When this happens, does the gesture start to draw again from where the context menu appeared?

Exit S+ and open Notepad, hold the right button down, and just drag around a lot. Are there split seconds where you can see a context menu starting to appear? Do the same in Firefox. That setting in Firefox probably causes it to be noticed because when right-up and right-down happens so fast, the menu may not even start to render before it's dismissed because the right-down happened again - but that setting disables the auto dismissal of the context menu.

Thanks for the reply.

When gesturing the context menu only appears after the gesture is complete, never before.

In notepad and Firefox, with S+ closed, the context menu doesn't appear until the right button is released.
Rob  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 8:09:20 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Okay, that's a good start.

Do you have anything in your Release or Right Click script tabs?
Surenpahlav  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 8:29:24 PM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Nope, nothing there.
Rob  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:58:35 PM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I don't use Firefox, but I opened it up and enabled the browser toolbox, then set the disable popup auto-hide - I can't get a popup to appear, unless I right-click.

Drawing a gesture doesn't cause it, no matter how many different things I try. Well, except for gesture cancel timeout, Relay Gesture on Timeout, or Relay Mouse Gesture on No Match enabled, but you would expect the right click to happen under those conditions.

At this point, I'd say you might need to use something like Spy++ to watch messages sent to Firefox and see if there actually is a WM_RBUTTONUP message happening.
Surenpahlav  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 2:00:33 AM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Yea the "disable popup auto hide" only makes the context menu stay open. I didn't mean it caused the gestures to bring up the context menu. But after i enabled, and then disabled the "disable popup autohide" in Firefox this problem started again when gesturing.

But as mentioned only randomly. Sometimes it won't show after dozens or even hundreds of gestures. And to my surprise it even happened sometimes when Firefox was closed... So I don't know how to bang my head against the wall... Laugh

I'll try that spy++ thing.
Rob  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:21:47 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

Quote:
it even happened sometimes when Firefox was closed

What do you mean? The Firefox menu showed up, or some other context menu?

If it was just another context menu, then again I feel compelled to suggest it might be a mouse button failure, essentially doing a up-down-up when you are releasing the mouse button. It would also explain why it's so random, as it's an intermittent button contact issue.
Surenpahlav  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 6:12:59 AM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Ya, I meant the windows context menu.

You're probably right that it's the mouse causing this. It is a Logitech wireless mouse (G903). This context menu thing started around 7 months ago with my old mouse (the same model), using the original S+. I took your advice and exchanged it with my mom's mouse (this one), which was basically brand new. The context menu thing disappeared for a month or two, and then appeared out of the blue. Then disappeared again around the time I installed the new S+. Now it appeared again just after I did the Firefox thing (which I guess was just a coincidence, idk). I did try with my wireless keyboard's touchpad, and the context menu didn't appear. So I guess you're right, it's the mouse. It's so bloody expensive too, who can afford changing a mouse like this every 6 months. You would guess they would be able to make a sturdy mouse for this price...
Rob  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 8:59:45 AM(UTC)
Rob

United States

I know! My mouse is like $80 USD and I'm on my third one because of mouse button issues. Have had the same thing with two previous brands, after 9 months to 2 years I have to get a new mouse due to buttons.

Next time I should disassemble the mouse, maybe see if I can order like 100 of just the button component and solder on the replacement myself to save money.
johnwang  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 5:02:42 PM(UTC)
johnwang

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You can also try contact cleaner spray on the switches that behave intermittently
thanks 1 user thanked johnwang for this useful post.
Rob on 6/21/2020(UTC)
Surenpahlav  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 6:28:41 PM(UTC)
Surenpahlav

Thanks I'll try that. Btw I did the soldering thing with an old Razer mouse I had. I ended up making it worse Laugh